When someone does something after death — such as causing harm by their will — they can be said to act "from beyond the grave". Is there a similar idiom in Latin? Any era will do, although classical is preferred if there is a choice.

It is not hard to say "despite being dead", but I am looking for something more colorful if any such expression exists. It could be something as simple as ex sepulcro — and that would probably be understood — but is any such phrase attested in the literature?

• "Posthume" or "post mortem" . – Zab Zonk Jan 3 at 10:27
  • It may be interesting to note that in Spanish this concept can be expressed by the word "ultratumba". According to the Diccionario de la Lengua Española ultratumba in turn is an adaptation from French outre-tombe. – JobRozemond Jan 3 at 13:08
  • @ZabZonk Can you expand on those suggestions in an answer and give relevant attestations if you can find them? Those don't sound very colorful, but if they are well attested, I would be happy nevertheless. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jan 3 at 14:48
  • Sorry, I can't find anything to support it online. And since I'm at it, it's "postume" (no "h"): typing on the phone is dangerous. – Zab Zonk Jan 4 at 9:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.