I'm going through some of my older poetry and I found this verse in Latin, which I don't know how to speak or write:

Suspirat diu ab scapula eius.
Basit ab palmus dorsum eius.
Silentium regnat. Nascitur
pacis mundus.

This is from about nine years ago and I have no memory of it. It's made me curious: Did the younger me go to the trouble of researching this and rendering it correctly? Or is it malformed gibberish? I'm fairly linguistically minded but I'd be surprised if I got a whole 15 correct words in a row on my own. Sadly, I'm not even able to tell how much effort I did or didn't put in.

It is mostly but not entirely correctly inflected Latin, but in the first and second lines the words do not really come together into comprehensible sentences:

• in the first sentence, suspirare does not usually stand with ab, and it is not clear what it is supposed to mean (“sigh away from his/her shoulder” or some such?)
  • in the second sentence, basit is not a proper word (should probably be basiat “kisses,” but then you have the same problem with ab), also you have no word agreeing with ab, this sentence is more or less gibberish

The third and fourth sentences are fine and mean: “Silence reigns. The world of peace is born.”

In summary I believe it is fair to say you did half-ass it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.