When I scan a verse, I simply leave out elided vowels: I don't pronounce them at all. But I've heard theories that the Romans did pronounce them, but just as very short vowels of half a syllable's length. What do we know about this? Is there consensus about the pronunciation?

• I think they pronounced elided vowels as "vocales elisus" – Nic Hartley Sep 14 '16 at 14:24
  • @QPaysTaxes: Hmm I can't Google that, do you have more information? And hello! – Cerberus Sep 14 '16 at 14:35
  • It was a joke; as far as I can tell, that's the Latin phrase meaning "elided bowels". Also, hi! – Nic Hartley Sep 14 '16 at 14:50

This is discussed in great detail in Allen’s classic Vox Latina ch. 4. His conclusion is (briefly) that a final short vowel followed by another vowel in the next word was elided (elisio), but a long vowel in the same position was reduced to a semivowel (synizesis).

• Good answer! I have heard of Vox Latina, although I've never used it. Would you consider it authoritative? And did Allen seem certain about this, or was it more like an hypothesis? – Cerberus Sep 16 '16 at 1:23
    Let us say that it has still not been replaced. – fdb Sep 16 '16 at 8:02
  • I'd agree with that. I've met experts who believe it's not right about everything, but as none of them has yet written a correction, he's the best to go with. – Joel Derfner Sep 18 '16 at 17:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.