Today in chat we spoke briefly about an earlier discussion I had had with Cerberus in Latin. (In case you did not know, we have a chatroom for this site.) I realized that I do not know how to put both ego and Cerberus in a possessive form together to refer to our discussion. Would colloquium meum et Cerberi be valid? These "mixed possessives" look weird. Of course I could say colloquium inter me et Cerberum, but what I want to know is whether one can combine possessive pronouns with genitives like this.

• FWIW, Church Latin uses ac to conjunctively join possessives: orate frates ut meum ac vestrum sacrificium acceptabile fiat apud Deum Patrem omnipotentem. – Rafael Sep 13 '16 at 14:29
  • Nearby in the order of the Mass there is also a decliend construction quoque poss + poss -que, that sounds to me like English as well as: ad utilitatem quoque nostram totiusque Ecclesiae suae sanctae. – Rafael Sep 13 '16 at 14:35

Eugene McCartney has an article in Classical Philology (XIV 3 July 1919) entitled "Greek and Latin Constructions in Implied Agreement" that mentions these constructions in its opening notes.

While talking about the "closeness of the relationship between the genitive of possession and the possessive adjective," he cites the coordination of the two in the same sentence as supporting evidence. He gives numerous examples that correspond to the OP's example sentence:

Cic. Fam. xii.4.2:

summa laus et tua et Bruti est

Caes. B.G. iii.20:

calamitatem aut propriam suam aut temporum

Verg. Ecl. iii.1:

Dic mihi, Damoeta, cuium pecus? an Meliboei?

Ovid Met. iv.680:

nomen terraeque suumque

Ovid Trist. i.3.97:

nataeque meumque corpus

He also cites some interesting (non-possessive) examples where adjectives are coordinated with the genitive, to further demonstrate that Latin allows this:

Livy xxi.29.4:

haud sane incruentam ancipitisque certaminis victoriam.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.