I don't know if I asked this question correctly, but what is a latin stem for swap? I don't specifically need it to be just swap. You can answer my question by saying a latin stm for switch, or another adj. for swap. Please, any of you, please get back to me as soon as you can. Thanks!

  • 2
    Welcome to the site! Can you give an example sentence or otherwise describe the context? It can make a big difference.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Nov 20, 2020 at 5:47

1 Answer 1


The most obvious verb to use seems to me to be permutare, which can very literally mean to transform completely or to turn about, but also to exchange or swap. Its attendant noun is permutatio.

Depending on what you mean exactly I could envision constructions with transponere or some of the various verbs associated with commerce, like cambire (which is not Classical Latin but gave rise to English change).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.