I do not know any Latin at all. Could you please help me to solve the following problem? I am wondering what would be a correct equivalent for "ex libris" used in books to change the meaning from "from books" to "from diaries" or "from calendars" ? Something like "Ex diariis"?

Ex diariis is correct, although diarium usually means "daily ration/allowance" and seems to have been used in the sense of a "diary" only rarely.

A more classical expression for "diary, journal" may be commentarii diurni (daily notebook), so you could say: ex commentariis diurnis (or diurnis commentariis, whichever you prefer).

How about dropping diurnis and going with e(x) commentariis alone? – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 17 '20 at 15:01
  • @JoonasIlmavirta That sounds like a good expression, depending on context, but since the question specifically asks for diaries, I think just commentarii alone would not be unambiguous. – Sebastian Koppehel Nov 18 '20 at 12:18
  • I agree, it would be ambiguous. It depends on context whether it would hurt, but to me commentarii is not far from a diary. – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 18 '20 at 12:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.