I wrote up a lengthy question to ask here, but my computer crashed and I lost it. Instead of reproducing the question just now, I would like to know how to describe the situation in Latin. The only thing I am missing is a good verb for crashing. Which word should I use and why?

My best guess now is mugire, so I might write something like this:

Computatrum meum mugivit, et ita rogatum meum amisi.

This was cited in the answer to a recent question as the de facto standard for Latin technology vocabulary by C. M. Weimer.

Acording to it, the verbs corruo and collabor are enough for a soft crash. L&S cites corruo as to fall, sink to the ground and with an active meaning of someone to ruin sth. Meanwhile, collabor is more explicit in meaning to fall in ruins (for buildings, though).

My guess as a choice to more properly mean that it was not just a matter of restarting your computer is:

Computatrum meum collapsit

Tibi gratulor, quod iam mille puncta tulisti! – Joonas Ilmavirta Sep 13 '16 at 16:02
    Gratias tibi do, care conlocutor! Dolet mihi frequentius hic scribere non posse – Rafael Sep 14 '16 at 14:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.