Thus far, I have researched Latin lightly and have passively watched multiple Latin videos. I would say I could probably figure out how to write a sentence in Latin given enough time with Numen and Wiktionary. Though I just want to be sure that the translation I came to would be grammatically correct and, even better, effectual in it's message. I think I got a somewhat workable translation:

(Nōs?) intrā nōs (nōs?) ultrā sumus.

We are greater within ourselves.

I am not quite sure where the nominative nōs would go. I can't quite tell if it would be at beginning of the sentence characteristic of the most common SOV structure or if it would go after the accusative nōs.

Many thanks.

The best place for the nominative nos is nowhere. You should leave it out, unless you want to particularly stress it (it is us who are greater, not those other guys). In that case the default position would be at the start of the sentence.

(This is also why one of the most well-known words in the Latin language, ego, is not all that frequently encountered in actual Latin: "I think, therefore I am" is Cogito, ergo sum, and definitely not Ego cogito, ergo ego sum.)

Ultra does not mean "greater", that would be maior (or major, depending on personal taste!). Also, while intra nos is technically correct, it sounds a little like "inside ourselves". I believe "within" is more succinctly expressed by intus.

When you know somebody "within and without", in Latin you could say: Ego te intus et in cute novi. (Persius, Saturae 3,30) -- literally: "I know you within and under the skin." (Nice work undermining my previous point about ego there, Aule Persi!) No need to replicate this silly pleonasm though ...

Thus we get:

Intus majores sumus.

And if you're talking about the TARDIS (or some versions of Baba Yaga's hut), you can even omit the est and just say maius intus. – gmvh Oct 19 '20 at 8:18
    @tony Non novi sed nōvi ;-) – Sebastian Koppehel Oct 19 '20 at 12:58
  • I wasn't even close! My goodness. – Auguste Chasseur Oct 20 '20 at 21:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.