I have a software product called Continua. I want to make another with a title like Confluo.

What are some reasonable variants of that word for this purpose — confluere, etc.?

I'm feeling like it should be 3 syllables and end in a consonant sound to distinguish it from the other app (like Confluence, though that feels a little boring and unmemorable to me), but I'd like to hear some possibilities.

The software is meant for bringing many people together to learn, communicate, add to, and explore each other's creative language projects.

(Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by asking this.)

• Welcome to the site! I recommend registering your account so that you can properly access this question later to leave comments and otherwise interact with others. It will also allow you to benefit from your newly earned reputation points and use more features of the whole site. – Joonas Ilmavirta Sep 29 at 10:40
    Now that you connected your account to your existing SE accounts, my previous comment is mostly obsolete. But nevertheless I'm happy to see you and your question here! – Joonas Ilmavirta Sep 29 at 10:44

There are a couple of related words and each has a number of possible forms:

• confluere, verb, "to flow together"
    • confluo, "I flow together"
    • confluimus, "we flow together"
    • confluens, "flowing together" (a participle)
    • confluendo, "by flowing together" (a gerund)
  • conflux or confluens or confluvium, noun, "a place where rivers meet"
  • confluentia, noun, "[the phenomenon of] flowing together" (essentially the Latin translation of "confluence")
  • confluus, adjective, "flowing together"
    • confluum, singular neuter for a general thing flowing together
    • conflua, plural neuter for a number of things flowing together
    • conflui, masculine plural for a group of people flowing together
    • confluis, plural dative "for people who flow together"

This should give you a fair selection to get started with. You can check more detailed meanings of these words in a good online Latin dictionary (which do not include Google Translate) or ask in a comment here. The list of possible forms is far from exhaustive, so I am open to suggestions for relevant forms.

To me the most natural option of these seems to be confluendo, as it gives the impression of an active tool, something that I might want an app to be.

| improve this answer | |
    I agree; Confluendo's a mouthful, but it has just the right amount of strangeness and familiarity, and will immediately remind many people of 'crescendo', hopefully toward a concordant sound. Thank you greatly! – dwn Sep 29 at 10:44
    A number of these are going to get you in trouble with Atlassian. – Sebastian Koppehel Sep 29 at 11:58
  • @SebastianKoppehel Good point! Unfortunately I can only advice on the language, and the legal responsibility of the name stays with the owner of the project anyway, so they need to check the name for availability. – Joonas Ilmavirta Sep 29 at 13:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.