I just saw in the news that a new dinosaur species was discovered and its scientific name is Vectaerovenator inopinatus. What exactly does this name actually mean as a Latin word? How should I parse it?

The article says:

Scientists named the dinosaur Vectaerovenator inopinatus -- a name that refers to large air sacs in some of the bones, which are commonly seen in theropods, and which helped the researchers identify the species.

The adjective inopinatus is "unexpected", and that could refer to either the animals behaviour or its discovery. The first part is more puzzling. I can read aero-venator as "air-hunter". If I understood correctly, this was a land-based beast, so the air must refer to its bone structure.

But how should I understand the vect- part and vectaerovenator as a whole? Is it "air-carrying-hunter", referring to how it carries air in its bones? If yes, I find the order of the elements weird. But it is also possible that I misidentified the boundaries between different parts of the word or otherwise misanalyzed it.

Or the scientists just drew a dictionary and put stems in the order they felt like putting (which I'm afraid is more usually than not the case) – Rafael Aug 12 at 19:56
  • @Rafael That's quite likely, I think. That leaves plenty of room for answering different aspects, though: What does it literally mean? What does it apparently try to mean? How should it be modified to be better Latin? Are the problems with this name (whatever they might be) common? Insight into any of them would constitute a nice answer. – Joonas Ilmavirta Aug 12 at 20:13
  • Maybe the scientists have resorted to coroprate sponsoring for financing their research, and this dinosaur is officially supported by Vectaire brand air extraction solutions ;) – Sebastian Koppehel Aug 13 at 6:10
  • Bones with airsacks are usually found in flying dinosaurs/ birds/ dragons. This 'outlier' makes use of it for buoyancy. – Hugh Aug 13 at 20:53

It is enticing to relate Vect- to some form of veho. But I see a link with the Latin name for the Isle of Wight, Vectis, where the dinosaur was found. See also http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3DVectis2

| improve this answer | |
  • That sounds indeed plausible! Then I guess it would be "the unexpected air-hunter of the Isle of Wight". Do you happen to know other species named after the island? I understood that these were not the first bones found there. – Joonas Ilmavirta Aug 13 at 8:42
  • dinowight.co.uk has Vectidraco – JobRozemond Aug 13 at 8:48
  • Excellent observation, although I would have expected the place name to go into the second part of the name (like Bombus alpinus, Bombus pyrenaeus etc). – Sebastian Koppehel Aug 13 at 8:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.