What is a Latin phrase similar to "annus horribilis" meaning a year of change, as in a year where everything changes?

For example - a year in which I moved across the country, totally changed job etc I would refer to it in Latin as my "year of change".

Welcome! If you have a specific type of change in mind, that'd be useful information to include here. Another way to improve the accuracy of any answer you get here would be to consult a dictionary and choose the word for "change" that you think fits your context best. Then we can put it into the right form. Thanks! – Nathaniel Aug 27 '16 at 20:12

There was one year that became especially proverbial for change.

In the year of the Seven Emperors. anno Septem Imperatorum...

...emperor #1 appointed his son joint-emperor. The senate already hated the man and appointed an 83-year-old, who said he couldn't do it without his son's help, so they were appointed the REAL two emperors: but they died in a serious defeat. Two more tried. An unfortified town wore the original Emperors down; starved their army; resisted a siege. Emperor #7 was appointed in celebration. (Read the Loeb text here: posted by Thayer)

This is all too much for Vikipedia; who have one short page on another hectic year:

The Year of the Five Emperors, Annus Quinque Imperatorum which had much less change of course, but still slightly proverbial.

More simply, mutabilis, means 'changeable,' (describing a mind, a woman, a face, and (variusque labor) work.) . But if I met 'annus mutabilis,' I would think of normal change, new fashions, changing seasons, weather, the varying year. A stronger phrase would be : Annus mutabilitatis, a year of change. (ponounced mootabilita:tis).

If as a result of change everything is now upside down, back to front and inside out, say Annus Inversus.

Does annus mutabilis have a better or different connotation than annus mutationis? Or does the latter actually not make sense? Or how about annus mutationum? – Ben Kovitz Aug 29 '16 at 2:21
    mutabilis mean "changeable", so I think it is too much of a stretch to have annus mutabilis mean "a year in which many changes have occurred." Mutabilis was common in literature, an aspect of the "sublunar realm," and has a much different connotation than just "major life events occurred." – brianpck Sep 6 '16 at 14:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.