A latin poem by Friedrich Leo appears in a book I have read for some time, and the author cited a part of it(the complete version can be seen here) when he was talking about Hamilton

Unde mathematicis lumen praeluxit Hamilto

Question: What is the most adequate translation for the cited part(as the book I am reading does not contain the English translation of the poem)? Thanks for you help.

Nam quis commemoret tot nomina quisve requi.. (unreadable)
Nomina quae mundus mente animoque tenet,
Quisve roget, quos Musa recens, quas Gratia nuper Eductos illa duxerit alma domo,
Vnde mathematicis lumen praeluxit Hamilto,
Hippocratis pueris Stokius unde facem,
Cuius et e rivis hortos, quicumque vetustas
Graia ac Romana est cura laborque, rigat.

The verses were part of a long Ode written in praise of 'famous names' all from one place of learning, probably Trinity College Dublin.

"For who may remember so many...
Names which the world holds fondly in mind and heart..."

Then ...

"Who is asking which [Deities] led forth the educated from the College (the Alma Domo)...

Then, your quotation,

From which Hamilton, a luminary in Mathematics, shone out /blazed forth,
Vnde mathematicis lumen praeluxit Hamilto,

From which, unde, means 'from this college.'
lumen, light, is nominative, cognate with Hamilto.
I would rewrite it as
"College...from which Hamilton, a luminary in Mathematics, shone out."

| improve this answer | |
    These verses are elegiac couplets. There should be a line break before "Eductos" in your third line. – fdb Jul 27 at 14:31
    The first line ends requirat (see OP's second link). – TKR Jul 27 at 18:55
    A couple of small corrections: the mathematicis are presumably people, i.e. "a light to mathematicians"; in the preceding line the meter shows that illa domo go together, while alma has to be nom. with Gratia (though I'm not sure why quas is fem. -- a typo?); and roget is subj., "who would ask...". – TKR Jul 27 at 19:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.