How would I say the phrase "Retaliate with Success" in classical Latin?

Welcome to the site! We have a specialy policy here for translation requests: they should include what you have tried your self, if at all possible. They should also include maximum context: what is it for? Can you explain the message it is supposed to convey? Etc. – Cerberus Jul 14 at 14:38

Prospere seems a good word for 'with success'. For an example, I immediately thought of 'prospere, procede, et regna' from the Psalms (though granted, that's ecclesiastical.

For retalitate, I rescind my previous answer of punire - instead I propose ulcisci, which my Lewis and Short marks as common in classical usage, as in “odi hominem et odero: utinam ulcisci possem! sed illum ulciscentur mores sui,” Cic. Att. 9, 12, 2.

Thus, I have Prospere Ulciscimini or Prospere Ulciscere, depending on the number.

| improve this answer | |
  • Welcome to the site! This looks like a promising option. Can you explain or discuss your choice of words a little? I don't immediately see how those verbs work for "retaliate", but it's probably because they have a nuance I don't know or remember. (Answers always get much more value from explanation in addition to mere statement.) – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 14 at 21:38
  • Thank you! I have edited my answer. – fiat96 Jul 14 at 22:27
  • Excellent! I'd vote up a second time if I could. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 15 at 7:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.