It is quite common to start a Latin sentence with quod, referring to the matter discussed in the previous sentence. In a dialogue, can one use it to refer to the previous thing even if it was uttered by someone else? That is, can the relative pronoun starting a sentence refer to another speaker and essentially mean "the thing you just said"?

Side question: Which pronoun would be the best fit here if not the relative one? Iste?

• llmavirta: Is "someone else" the second or third person, in the sentence? Is it a "previous sentence" or a previous clause--would it matter? Allen & Greenough p.572: "inter inanimum et animal hoc maxime interest, quod animal agit aliquid" = "this is the chief difference between an inanimate object and an animal, that an animal aims at something" (Acad. 2.37). This could be adapted: "inter inanimum et te....quod tu dixisti aliquid" = "between an object and you....that you have said something". To reference information from a third-party, Cicero took a different path :"is unde te – tony Jul 14 at 12:09
  • llmavirta: audisse dicis" = "the man whence (from whom) you heard it", (Ad Quintum Fratrem 2.285). This may be irrelevant to the main point that you seek; but, I like this use of "unde" and have been looking for an opportunity to include it, somewhere. – tony Jul 14 at 12:13
  • @tony It makes no difference to me what role the "someone else" plays in the sentence. It is only a matter of changing speakers and whether the relative pronoun can refer across such a change. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 14 at 16:50
  • llmavirta: Translating "the thing you just said" = "id, quod modo dixisti" (where "id" = "that [thing]); A says this to B: chappie, B is the "someone else"; the speaker has changed from A to B; "id" is "referring to the matter discussed in the previous sentence". If the "role" i.e. the number of parties involved is irrelevant, then I fail to see the difficulty. If you disagree, fine; at least enjoy the superlative Latin of Cicero. – tony Jul 15 at 12:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.