In one of the footnotes in Popma's book, we read:

Vocabulum hocce in genere neutro h. l. esse positum, testatur Erythraeus in Ind. Virgil. fol. 41. fac. 2. col b.

I could not find Erythraeu's book itself to see if "h. l" occurs there also, or this "h. l" is related to the citation (but as the full citation comes later, it seem quite improbable).

Edit : in the following footnote we find also "h. e", that's too I could not decipher, but they might be related.

• See also here.
    – lly
    Jun 6, 2023 at 23:53

2 Answers 2

The abbreviation h. l. means hoc loco – “here, in this place, in this instance.” This is a common abbreviation which you can find in various books.

The abbreviation h. e. probably means hoc est or possibly hic est (some sources on Google Books prefer the latter, although I do not see why) – the meaning being more or less the same as the more well-known id est = “that is, that is to say.”

• Thanks! can you link one of the Google Books dictionary sources for abbreviation? for some reason they evade me.
    – d_e
    Jul 11, 2020 at 9:43
    @d_e I have added links; the best way to find abbreviations on Google Books I am afraid is guessing the meaning first, then searching for the unabbreviated term. Jul 11, 2020 at 9:48

Erythraeus and his Index of Virgil
'Publii Virgilii Maronis Bucolica, Georgica, et Aeneis, nunc demum ...,' Volume 2 By Nicolaus Erythraeus is published as an open access Google e-book. Page 41 covers words beginning Cl; and sure enough 'Clypeum' is listed in preference to 'Clypeus' (on the right hand leaf).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.