Acronyms are abbreviations that are read as whole words rather than letter by letter — or in other words, they are words formed from initials of a phrase. "NATO" and "laser" are two examples.

I have seen abbreviations used in Latin, but I get the impression that they are often expanded to whole in speech or read as an abbreviation letter by letter. Not all abbreviations are suitable for acronyms. I will not try to pronounce "SPQR" as a single word…

Modern Latin has some acronyms, for example the name "NATO", but I wonder how new this phenomenon is. When did acronyms first appear in Latin? How do we know how they were read out? (Maybe they were declined?)

I have no guess as to what the answer might be, so any examples of acronyms with timing and explanation are welcome.

In Christian times, (Greek) "ichthus" (Iesus Christos Theou Huios Soter) comes to mind, as well as Latin "INRI" (Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum). – brianpck Aug 25 '16 at 12:22
    @brianpck, I had forgotten about the Greek fish. Do we have a reason to believe that INRI was pronounced as a two-syllable word rather than expanding all the words or reading the letters one by one? If yes, that would make a good answer. – Joonas Ilmavirta Aug 25 '16 at 20:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.