What we do in the following example?

I need to combine two words in a phrase: 'professional' and 'holiday'.

There is no adjective 'professional' in Latin or my searching is bad. So I can use the genitive of 'profession' - professionis.

I get: festum (nom.) professionis (gen.), and there is no problem yet (and all agree too that there is no problem in the following combination: - "canis pueri boni"). But if I need to use a verb which governs words by special cases - there seems to be a little trouble.

Professionis is not a true adjective, but this is different from an appositive getitive example (I think) - so what we need to do!?

"Congratulor" takes the accusative, so "festum" must be in this case. But what about professionis?

I can't make them agree.

You decline the main noun and keep the genetive of the other noun.

• A relationship by marriage is: affinitas.
  • A relationship by marriage with a very good man is: affinitas viri optimi.
  • I congratulate you on your relationship by marriage with a very good man is: Gratulor tibi affinitatem viri […] optimi (Cicero, Epistulae ad familiares, 8,13); overly literal translation – what he's actually saying is: “Congratulations on an excellent son-in-law.” (The interjection medius fidius means something like “on my word,” it refers to a god called Dius Fidius.)
| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks! I do in such way before I asked my question, but it was only on the basis of my own language perception, not on the basis of examples from Classics. – TrmIntrs2 Jul 5 at 17:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.