I have a friend. She and I have strong loyalties to each other -- we have a semi-unspoken agreement to be always forthright with and always supportive of one another, and I want to express this sentiment in Latin.

My supposition is: "Foedus constat; utri nostrum curare" which I translate literally as "Our pact stands; to care for the other of us." Or, in more colloquial English "We made a pact; to care for each other."

Is there a translation which makes more (or any) sense? I'm quite unsure as to whether my translation would be understood in Latin.

  • 2
    First impression: For reciprocal actions, one typically uses inter se (or, in your case, inter nos). Using utri nostrum for this seems very odd, though perhaps you've come across a similar expression somewhere.
    – cnread
    Jun 24, 2020 at 8:45
  • 1
    @cnread: What about "alter-alterum" = "each other"; though a case-ending change may be required?
    – tony
    Jun 24, 2020 at 11:35

1 Answer 1


I don't think there is anything wrong with Foedus constat; utri nostrum curare.

But I think I prefer the Vulgate's somewhat metaphorical version of this, Alter alterius onera portate (Carry each other's burdens). I mention it because you (or others) might agree.

This could be adapted to Foedus constat: alterum alterius onera portare, or just simply, Alter alterius onera portemus (Let's carry each others burdens.)

  • 2
    I like your non-literal approach here and your choice of passages from the Vulgate to use as a model. If you use the infinitive portare, though, note that the nominative alter needs to be changed to accusative alterum, because it's the subject of the infinitive.
    – cnread
    Jun 25, 2020 at 8:23
  • 1
    … or alteram if both friends are female. Jun 25, 2020 at 22:08
  • @cnread Thanks! I'll fix it.
    – Figulus
    Jun 30, 2020 at 15:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.