I'm thinking that a houseguest who stays on your couch should be something like hospes lectuli. But that sounds more like a guest invited by your couch, which is silly. In my non-expert understanding of how Latin normally works, this kind of construction should call for an adjective. But all I know is the noun lectulus. How could I make that into an adjective so that it clearly modifies hospes?

Lectulus means a little bed. Make it a bigger bed, for starters. – Hugh Aug 23 '16 at 2:49
  • @Hugh It's a couch. They aren't big. – Fund Monica's Lawsuit Aug 23 '16 at 4:07
  • @QPaysTaxes -That's not the problem. It's impossible to form an adjective from lectulus. – Hugh Aug 23 '16 at 5:17
  • How about adding ''-alis,'' so ''lectulalis''? – Ben Kovitz Aug 23 '16 at 11:33
    Well, if you want to use a Greek root and completely confuse modern readers, just write "clinicalis"! – brianpck Aug 26 '16 at 12:22

In your question you have used the genitive, and 'lecti' of a bed may be your best option. Or 'lectuli.'

It's almost impossible to find an adjective from any of the words for bed; and those two which can form adjectives imply the guest is sick or in child-birth. Lectus, torus, cubile, stratum (often in plural) or even clinus, tectus and grabatus.

contubernalis, a couch fellow.

sounded promising, but it's the (ten) men who shared a tent in the army.

In general, adjectives from nouns are difficult; it is much easier to form adjectives from verbs:

cubans: present participle of cubo: lie down,

Hospitality is best expressed by:

Hospitio aliquem excipere where 'aliquem' stands for any guest.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.