I just learned that some Greek neuter nouns of the third declension with a nominative/accusative singular form ending in -ς have oblique stems in -τ-, which surprised me.

I expected τ-stem neuter nouns to have a nominative/accusative singular that simply drops the -τ-, and s-stem nouns to simply have loss of intervocalic s in the oblique forms (as in γέρας, γέραος/γέρως).

A Wiktionary appendix makes a vague but somewhat informative comment about the appearance of -τ- in -μα, -ματ- words and -r/-n- heteroclites (which seem to be fairly well represented in Greek; e.g. ἧπαρ, ἥπατος):

Interestingly, the τ in the stem is a common feature of Ancient Greek words derived from PIE neuter n stems, which is not well explained.

However, I haven't heard before of s/n heteroclites, so I'm not sure if this is related to the appearance of -t- in the oblique stems of neuter nouns ending in -s.

The original example I ran into was κέρας/κέρᾰτ-, from this discussion. It apparently was variable in declension.

A bunch of other examples I took from Wiktionary: οὖς, σταῖς (Wiktionary suggests "influence from" στέαρ), φῶς, ἅλας, δέρας, πέρας, τέρᾰς, ὄπεᾰς (Wiktionary suggests it replaced older *ὄπεαρ), κρέας (variable), (also πᾰ́γκρεᾰς), σέλᾰς (variable), ἐρῠσῐ́πελᾰς

• Somehow, I subconsciously always assumed the -s was a nominative ending, and -ts → -s. But neuter words probably shouldn't get nominative endings. So perhaps the question should be reversed: why do various neuter words with stems on -t- end on -s in the nominative/accusative? – Cerberus Jun 9 at 18:22

This appears to be a mostly or wholly Greek-internal analogical development. It's actually not confined to neuters. Some animates with nom. in -ς show variation between stems without and without -τ-, e.g. γέλως, Homeric acc. γέλω vs. Attic γέλωτα, and similarly for ἔρως, ἱδρώς, χρώς. These are original s-stems (cf. the Latin type honōs) that acquired a stem in -t- by analogy with animate t-stems. Presumably the analogy was then extended to neuters. It's often hard to figure out why a specific analogy happened, but in this case it might have to due with simplicity of declension (not having to deal with vowel contractions).

This added -t- occurs outside of this class, too, most notably in the -μα neuters you mention. There's also the type χάρις, gen. χάριτος but acc. χάριν, where the -t- only appears in part of the declension. There are other scattered examples, e.g. δαίς-δαῖτα (cf. δαίομαι), and even ἄναξ, which has inscriptional t-less forms like ϝανακων.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.