What textbooks were used to teach Neo-Latin in primary, secondary, and higher education schools during the 19th century?

1 Answer 1

The late 19th century primarily used grammar books for teaching Latin.

Latin was used for all subjects (including recess time!) as late as the end of the 18th century in France. Physics was first taught in French in 1783; cf. Lucien Gagne, C.Ss.R.'s preface to Victor Coulombe's transl. of Fr. William Most's Latin by the Natural Method.

In the 13th-16th centuries, all oral lectures and textbooks for all subjects for children 6-14 were entirely in Latin, despite it not having been a vernacular for almost a millennium.

See:

• Interesting. However, if you had the answer all by yourself, why ask the question?
    – C Monsour
    Jun 18, 2020 at 16:28
  • @CMonsour I didn't know the answer at the time I asked the question, and no one else posted an answer. Answering one's own questions is encouraged on StackExchange.
    – Geremia
    Jun 18, 2020 at 20:29
  • Cool. Thanks, I hadn't known that!
    – C Monsour
    Jun 19, 2020 at 3:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.