Does Latin allow the letter 'k' in suffixed words?

Actually, I'm explaining a phenomenon in which English spelling changes...

Consider the following examples:

Likeable, shakeable, makeable - these words are of Germanic origin. They do allow 'k' in words that are suffixed.

Now,

• Revoke + able -> revocable but not revokeable/revokable.
  • Invoke + able -> invocable but not invokeable/invokable.
  • Provoke + able -> provocable but not provokeable/provokable.

They're from Latin revocare, invocare, provocare respectively.

It has to do with their etymologies. They're of Latin origin.

My question is: Does Latin allow the letter k in suffixed words?

Or what's the reason for this? They allow 'c' in the suffixed words but don't allow 'k'. Why?

Does Latin allow the letter k in suffixed words?

It doesn't, because Latin doesn't allow the letter K at all. Well, almost; there are a couple of words with K and they mostly have spelling variants with C. In particular, the words you mention are never spelled with a K in Latin.

I have never seen K within a Latin word, only at the beginning. (Perhaps there could be prefixes.) The only two verbs with K are kalare and kalumniari, but they are both also spelled with C and are very rare anyway.

It seems the Latin C has turned into a K in some English words, but that change did not happen within Latin. I don't know whether it was English or an intermediate language. Perhaps English doesn't want C before E when it's pronounced as a K? Follow-up questions in this direction are a better fit to the English sites or perhaps Linguistics.

| improve this answer | |
    Thank you, Joonas, for your quick response. I don't know whether it was English or an intermediate language. Perhaps English doesn't want C before E when it's pronounced as a K? -> Yes, the letter 'c' gives /s/ sound when it comes before e, i and y. On the other hand, 'c' gives /k/ sound when it comes before a, o and u. The spelling changed to 'k' in order to maintain the /k/ sound (which was original sound of the word in Latin). – Decapitated Soul May 18 at 11:06
    @DecapitatedSoul I'm glad to be able to help! That's what I expected. – Joonas Ilmavirta May 18 at 11:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.