Would ne cede apathia sed humanitate be a sensical translation of "give in not to apathy, but humanity"? I am trying to keep this as few words as possible but without sounding too abrupt. I was also modeling this somewhat off of:

tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

-- Virgil, Aeneid, 6, 95:

you should not give in to evils, but proceed ever more boldly against them

-- Translation from this list of latin phrases on Wikipedia.

Cedere takes the dative, so it should be:

Ne apathiae cede, sed humanitati.

(Liking this word order better, but yours is fine too, of course.)

Other than that, I see no objections. Apathia and humanitas are fine (no false friends); you could also say lentitudo for apathy.

• Thanks for your answer! By "false friends", you mean that apathia and humanitas work fine as opposites within the sentence, right? – Adam May 16 '20 at 13:19
    @Adam False friends are words that look familiar but mean something other than you think they mean, like fascinare, ignorare or compendium. When translating a Greek or Latin loanword in English, one has to beware of these. But apathia and humanitas are “true friends” I think. – Sebastian Koppehel May 16 '20 at 13:53
  • Ahh - that has bitten me a few times here and there. – Adam May 16 '20 at 14:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.