What is a word that means “see” (refer to) (go see), but in latin form, like “r.e.”? I asked this in the English stackexchange and got kicked out

  • 1
    It is possibly viz., but only as a stretch of its literal sense "it is permissible to see". Why is videlicit abbreviated as viz, by the way? Why not vid.?
    – user6924
    May 8 '20 at 17:28
  • 1
    The abbreviation "viz." goes back to Tironian shorthand, the way I heard it; that would make a fine question in its own right, though.
    – Draconis
    May 8 '20 at 18:40
  • Qv or q.v. (plural qq.v.) is listed in Chambers page x, but in the concise Oxford page xix they prefer cf. (short for confer) which is also in the answer given by Draconis.
    – Hugh
    May 8 '20 at 20:39
  • 4
    Re is not an initialism, but the Latin word re, ablative of res ("thing", "matter"). Originally in the legal Latin phrase in re X "in the matter of X" or "in X's legal action"
    – Colin Fine
    May 8 '20 at 22:37
  • I wrote viz. in this sense for sometime, but stopped after finding that it rather means "that is, which means", basicly i.e. "id est". I shouldn't use entirely arcsne shorthand except in space constrained writing (viz. comments)
    – vectory
    May 8 '20 at 22:39

It sounds like you want to use this in an English context, so I'd suggest the abbreviation cf, short for confer "bring these things together". It's relatively common in academic contexts to mean "you should compare my results against this other work".

Another option, depending on the use case, is qv, short for quod vide or quae vide "which you should look at". This one's more common in reference books, used to point to a different entry in the same work rather than a different work entirely.

  • 1
    Note that q.v. has a different grammatical function than see: see takes a direct object saying what entry to go look at, whereas q.v. says to go look at the entry for the entity just mentioned. For example, "He was the third president of the United States (q.v.)" means "He was the third president of the United States (see Uɴɪᴛᴇᴅ Sᴛᴀᴛᴇꜱ)". So see is more flexible: it lets you refer to an entry whose title isn't exactly the preceding word or phrase.
    – ruakh
    May 9 '20 at 17:42

In addition to the excellent suggestions made by Draconis, there is also the simple vide "see", abbreviated as v.. It is used in e.g. Lewis & Short.


  • 1
    In my opinion, this is the correct answer for what the OP is actually asking.
    – cmw
    Jun 1 '20 at 18:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.