I've been working on a fictional world called Solum. On this planet are two continents. Is it grammatically correct to call the larger continent Soli Major and the smaller Soli Minor? I'm not confident I've declined Solum correctly.

Sounds spot on to me. Major and Minor are masculine or feminine adjectives, presumably modifying the feminine continens. The bigger continent of Solum and the smaller continent of Solum. – Figulus May 2 at 19:51

You have a lot of creative freedom with that, and you could probably generate some interesting conversation in our chat with it. That said, here would be my answer:

1. Your declension is correct. Soli is genitive and major is nominative. Maior probably has an implied (pars). This is probably the most generic and understandable translation.

2. Maior could be declined "Majus" for an adjective agreeing with Solum. Depending on the setting of your imaginary world, this might sound cool: Solum Majus. Same with minor. It could be Solum Minus.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.