This is a rubric for the hymn Ave maris stella from a French 13th century source. Someone helped me and gave me: 'A song for the Blessed Virgin when her office is celebrated on Saturdays in the monastery.' I'm looking for a literal translation. Is this close? Thank you.

• I'm having a really hard time parsing this. Is this the whole sentence? – Figulus Apr 25 at 5:27
  • De beata Maria virgine in sabbatis officium (Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Saturday) is a popular devotional office for Saturday liturgies. I have noticed that Sabbata, the plural of Sabbatum is often used in a singular sense, almost as if it were a plurale tantum, so it could be interpreted as singular "Saturday" as well as plural "Saturdays", not that that makes much difference in meaning. – Figulus Apr 25 at 5:32
  • Ya, I checked again. I copied it correctly. It may be one of those cases that mixes in local dialects, I don't know. – R. B. Jawad Apr 25 at 15:29
  • @R.B.Jawad Do you have an image or link you can post? I'm really skeptical of the "quae." I could easily see someone who didn't know paleography misinterpreting an abbreviation, e.g. it could be "quando" (as the translation you posted seems to assume), which would make a lot more sense. – brianpck Apr 25 at 15:43
  • I tried to find the original source online, but couldn't. It's apparently from Roma, Santa Sabina, Archivum Generale Ordinis Predicatorum s. n., in a manuscript Correctorium des Humbert von Romans ("le gros livre"), ca. 1255. Here is an image from Stäblein's book: pasteboard.co/J5t50Xu.png – R. B. Jawad Apr 25 at 16:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.