This is a rubric (instruction) for when to sing a hymn. I translated it as "At Sext on third and all doubles." This doesn't seem right to me because the 'third' is redundant. I would like to know what the literal translation is. Thank you.

It would be nice if you could give us a little more context. Where did you get this phrase? What book is it from? When was it published?

It literally means "At Sext on Thirds and all Doubles". I know what Doubles are, they are a kind of feast with a high liturgical rank. I do not know what Thirds might be.

Update: Thanks for the context supplied in your comment below. It confirms in my mind what Brianpck said. There is apparently something called a "Third Double" as well as something called a "Complete Double". I've never heard these terms before, and I cannot tell you what they mean.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ok, thank you. It is a rubric for the hymn Rector potens, verax Deus found in a catalogue of medieval music: Die mittelalterlichen Hymnenmelodien des Abendlandes. There is a similar one for Rerum Deus tenax vigor: ad nonam in tertiis duplicibus. Yes, the 'tertiis' part is where I am confused. – R. B. Jawad Apr 24 at 22:47
    I believe both "tertiis" and "totis" modify "duplicibus" as adjectives, i.e. "on tertiary and complete doubles." I found a French work where this was translated as "doubles complets" (complete doubles) and "troisièmes doubles" (third doubles). It appears to be a very old (perhaps pre-16th c.) designation of liturgical feasts, and perhaps it's even peculiar to a religious order. – brianpck Apr 24 at 23:49
    @brianpck I think you've nailed it. Do you want to make it the answer? – Figulus Apr 25 at 5:13
  • Under 'Ranking of liturgical days' Wikipedia has Doubles, I Class; Doubles, II Class; Greater Doubles; Doubles; Semidoubles. and then, in 1911, 1955, 1960, 1969 simplifications and renaming. – Hugh Apr 25 at 13:47
    @Hugh I think even that belies the complexity: here's a good Catholic Encyclopedia article that includes a few lists of different terms used: newadvent.org/cathen/06021b.htm – brianpck Apr 25 at 15:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.