Latin has seven cases: nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative, vocative, locative. What are their relative frequencies in classical Latin?

I suppose an answer would have to be based on analyzing an annotated corpus or something similar.

I have no other motivation for this than idle curiosity, although I suppose one could use this information to argue that one really should learn all the cases — at least the first five.

+50

From the Perseus Database, the frequency of the cases is as follows:

Nouns (19630):

• accusative 31.6%
  • ablative 25.8%
  • nominative 22.6%
  • genitive 13.6%
  • dative 4.6%
  • vocative 1.2%
  • locative 0.2%
  • unknown 0.4%

Adjectives (7497):

• accusative 33.0%
  • nominative 31.6%
  • ablative 21.8%
  • genitive 8.6%
  • dative 4.2%
  • vocative 0.6%
  • locative 0.0%
  • unknown 0.0%

Pronouns (6289):

• accusative 33.1%
  • nominative 32.0%
  • ablative 13.1%
  • dative 13.1%
  • genitive 8.5%
  • vocative 0.1%
  • unknown 0.1%
| improve this answer | |
    Thanks! That was very quick for such a thorough answer. ;) – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 20 at 18:15
  • I find the unknown to be generally high. I guess unknown should account the times of ambiguity? – d_e Apr 21 at 6:50
    @d_e Certain words in certain contexts are ambiguous as far as assigning the case with any certainty. This was done "semi-automatically" and revised as much as possible. You can find more information about the PerseusDL Treebank at Github. – Expedito Bipes Apr 21 at 10:46
  • Thank you for this answer and the link to the database. Both are very helpful. – RockPaperLz- Mask it or Casket Apr 22 at 14:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.