Allen & Greenough p.364, Note 2: the dative plural "his" has a suffix "-ce" attatched:

"hisce omnis aditus ad Sullam intercludere"; (Cicero Pro Roscius Amerino 110.10) firstly, (A & G) have omitted some words, the full quote:

"hisce [aliqua fretus mora semper] omnis aditus ad Sullam intercludere" =

"[always relying on some delay], to shut these men from all access to Sulla (close to them [Latin: "his"] every approach)".

(The missing words are irrelevant to this Q., but I'm surprised that (A & G) would do this.)

I have looked at the readily-available Greek & Latin suffix charts, to no avail. Therefore, the significance of suffix "-ce" is, please?

It's a demonstrative particle. You can find that in the book on page 67 where they comment about Ille and iste having the same particle:

a. Ille and iste appear in combination with the demonstrative particle -c, shortened from -ce, in the following forms:

Below that, there's another note as follows:

NOTE 1.--The appended - ce is also found with pronouns in numerous combinations: as, huiusce, hunce, horunce, harunce, hosce, hisce (cf. Sect: 146. N. 1), illiusce, isce; also with the interrogative -ne, in hocine, hoscine, istucine, illicine, etc.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. And I thought it was just another suffix. Little wonder I couldn't find it. – tony Apr 7 at 15:58
  • And perhaps the most commonly seen -ce word of all that shows the full form of the suffix: ecce! (which oddly is not included in their list). – Janus Bahs Jacquet Apr 7 at 20:58
    In addition, the -c in all forms of hic/haec/hoc is from the same suffix/particle, I believe. (By the way, I am used to calling it a deictic particle.) – Cerberus Apr 7 at 22:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.