Why does ἔχω exhibit a 2 s. aorist imperative σχές instead of what I would expect to be σχέ ?

Do other verbs do this, or is this peculiar to this verb?

There are a handful of verbs that take -ς in the 2sg. aorist imperative: the others are δίδωμι, τίθημι, ἵημι (δός, θές, ἕς). The origin of this -ς is a mystery.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hmm, I checked my text for those very verbs, thinking they might show it. Don't know how I missed that, must have been up too late last night ;) Will look again. Thanks for the informative answer, +1 for you. – MPW Mar 24 at 18:06
  • Yes, it is there in my text (JACT Reading Greek) for δίδωμι and τίθημι as well. Don’t know how I missed them. Thanks again! – MPW Mar 25 at 9:35
  • Idle speculation: could those be from some sort of old subjunctive? I believe the subjunctive didn't (always) have lengthened vowels in archaic Greek. – Cerberus Mar 25 at 14:45
  • @Cerberus There were indeed short-vowel subjunctives (the IE subjunctive rule was simply "add -e/o-", resulting in short-vowel stems for athematic verbs and long-vowel stems for thematic verbs), but they still had a thematic vowel, which we don't see in δό-ς etc. – TKR Mar 25 at 17:41
  • @TKR: OK, noted. I'll pay more attention reading Homer... – Cerberus Mar 26 at 4:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.