I'm trying to parse a few sets of Latin words divided into the categories: perfect participle, present participle and gerundives.

I'm struggling a bit. Particularly with gerundives. For instance, in explicandum I know that um seems to be a singular ending, neuter. ex is out; plic is to fold, but I keep finding and as in memorandum, but I'm not quite sure how to parse it. I think that there is a thematic vowel in there. On the whole, I'm supposed to parse it, provide the gloss of the elements and a meaning of the word, but I'm not able to parse the andin the gerundives. Is a single element or can I break it down further? Suggested readings are appreciated.

If you wanted to break explicāndum down into morphemes, it would look something like

ex -plicā-nd -um
out-fold -GND-NOM.SG.N
"it should be unfurled"

The -nd- in the middle marks the gerund and gerundive. I would personally group the -ā- in with the verb stem instead of with the gerundive suffix, but an argument could be made either way on that.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks, this helps a lot. I keep finding - and or - end in the gerundive set. It makes sense that - nd is a gerundive marker (sort of). – hugo1620 Mar 23 at 21:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.