Looking for use of this in a motto, like below a family coat of arms. No matter what, we will pay our debts to those we owe.

Thanks!

This is a good question, and there are a million possible answers to it, but I will list fewer than that here, and others will also, I hope, add a few more possibilities.

• "Debita solventur omnia" is a straightforward sentence which means simply that all debts will be paid. The word order can be re-arranged to whatever you like with no change in meaning and only slight change in emphasis.

• You can replace "solventur" above with "persolventur" to mean paid in full, a more emphatic expression.

• You could change the indicative "solventur" (will be paid) to a jussive "solvantur" (let them be paid!). Again, you can put the prefix "per-" in front of "solvantur" to emphasize this.

• If you want something even more legal sounding, official, and old fashioned, you can replace "solvantur" with "solvuntor".

I could go on, but I've probably said more than enough!

| improve this answer | |

Matthew 18:28 has a pithy way of expressing this:

Redde quod debes.

Literally: "Give back what you owe."

This comes with a major caveat, however: it's in the context of the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant, and is uttered by the petty servant. The full story can be found in Matthew 18:23-35, and the portrait isn't very flattering:

. . . Egressus autem servus ille invenit unum de conservis suis, qui debebat ei centum denarios: et tenens suffocavit eum, dicens: Redde quod debes. Et procidens conservus ejus, rogabat eum, dicens: Patientiam habe in me, et omnia reddam tibi. Ille autem noluit: sed abiit, et misit eum in carcerem donec redderet debitum. . . .

| improve this answer | |
  • That's a pretty neat observation. You could personalize it to "Reddo quod debeo" (I pay what I owe) or "reddimus quod debemus" (we pay what we owe). – Figulus Mar 22 at 17:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.