What is the best Latin translation of

This will have consequences

as in "what has transpired will affect the future"?

The very literal translation consequentias habet would appear to be acceptable in modern Latin (e.g. it occurs in this book published by the Pontifical University Gregoriana in 1948).

• I don't think "consequentias habere" is a very good translation. I read a few selections from the book, and it seems pretty clear that it's a literal calque-style translation from a modern Romance language. That was a common style for manuals of this kind, but probably shouldn't be recommended under normal circumstances. (For reference, "consequentia" seems to be a post-classical term--it only occurs in Cicero, I think, as the participle for consequor.) – brianpck Oct 8 '20 at 2:23
  • It's certainly not classical Latin, true, which is why I specified that it would appear to be acceptable in modern Latin (as in the language of the Vatican). – gmvh Oct 8 '20 at 6:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.