Salvē! I am new here and searched the questions, but could not find anything. In another site somebody suggested: interrete trans spiritum, but this seems too long. Maybe a catchy abbreviation such as wifi but using the words in Latin? Any suggestions?

The name Wi-Fi never was an abbreviation of "wireless fidelity". Therefore I see two approaches to naming it in Latin:

1. Use Wi-Fi as a name.

2. Express the idea "wireless network access" somehow.

In the first approach the name would be indeclinable, so there is no case inflection. Cases can be expressed by an auxiliary word (possimne uti Wi-Fi tuo?) or the syntactic role can be clarified with prepositions (per Wi-Fi interrete adhibemus) word order or other similar structure (visne Wi-Fi?).

In the second approach there is no reason to translate the word "fidelity" in any way. The basic question is to find a good translation for "wire" or "cable". The second one seems to come from the Latin capulum. Using that, we could say rete decapulatum, "a wireless net".

Both approaches have their merits. The first one is at least very simple to use and understand, so that would be my first recommendation.

| improve this answer | |
    Never officially. – user253751 Mar 16 at 11:22
    @user253751 Never at all. It was a pun on "Hi-Fi". – chrylis -cautiouslyoptimistic- Mar 16 at 15:20
    @chrylis-onstrike- Which stands for "high fidelity".... and they decided to replace the part that stands for "high" with a part that stands for "wireless".... the logical implication is left as an exercise for the reader. – user253751 Mar 16 at 16:25
    @user253751 "There was a young lady from Crewe / whose limericks stopped at line two." "There was a young man from Verdun." – chrylis -cautiouslyoptimistic- Mar 16 at 16:28
  • A rude comment was deleted. Please take this discussion to chat if you want to continue it. – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 16 at 16:43

To me, wifi feels like a word that the Romans would have just borrowed rather than used their own phrase for. If you swap out the W for a V and treat it like a third declension noun, you get vifis as the genitive noun. I'm not sure how awkward that would sound to those more experienced than me, though. I suppose it's better than vaefae, though. :)

| improve this answer | |
    For some reason vaefae sounds more like a waffle to me. – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 15 at 17:03
    That's how we do it in Czech (/vIfI/) be we do not decline it. We do decline the colloquial wifina though (/vIfIna/). – Vladimir F Mar 16 at 18:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.