In translating the Latin-text gravestone of an early 18th century Capuchin, I encounter "M.H.P." at the end of the epitaph, followed by "A.M.D.G." --for "Ad maiorem Dei gloriam". I suspect the M.H.P. may abbreviate a phrase honoring Mary, mother of Jesus. Any guesses?

Here is the full text. Forward slash marks line breaks: enter image description here

Welcome to the site! It might help if you posted the complete text, for context. – Cerberus Feb 23 at 3:17

Ainsworth (1749), Latin Dictionary appendix, for M.H.P. gives

Monumentum heres posuit

His heir placed the monument.
Or, especially if the name of a donor is supplied as it is here:

Superstites Missionarii (the aforementioned missionaries)

Memoriam hanc (posuit) posuerunt

(he/she)/they placed this memorial.

This section of his dictionary

Explicatio literarum et notarum frequentius in antiquis Romanorum monimentis occurrentium By Robert Ainsworth, Romani...

is available free as a Google Book see p.61

Ainsworth is less useful with abbreviations for Catholic Friars; does A.S.C.D.P.F. give the title of the Capuchin Order which sent him ? Ainsworth gives DPF 'dis penatibus fecit/ fecerunt' "for the funerary gods they did this."

| improve this answer | |
    A.S.C.D.P.F. = "A Sacra Congregatione de Propaganda Fide(i)" or some slight grammatical variation. The Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith gave the Tibet Mission to the Capuchins of Ancona in 1703. – Ratna Shakya Feb 24 at 18:23

Thanks for all the help. I believe we have worked out the meaning of M.H.P. in the posted inscription: "Superstites Missionarii / Memoriam Hanc Posuerunt". This could be translated as "The surviving missionaries erected this memorial"... (Careful reading of all the dates shows the inscription was made two years after P. dell Penna's death. (My apologies if I am not posting precisely as I should, I'm a newcomer.)

| improve this answer | |
  • An impressive life, Fr Horatius, meritis cumulatus. Superstites, as you say, is 'survivors' (my mistake); since Tacitus uses it in conjunction with bellorum, is Billorum a misprint? – Hugh Feb 24 at 19:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.