Sorry for the simple question, but I last took Latin in 1987 and I don't remember how to make a first-person plural imperative for "cogitare" (or any "are" verbs), and my Google searches are failing me. I've found many sites that conjugate "cogitare" and/or "are" verbs, but they only include the four "standard" imperatives: active singular (cogita), active plural (cogitate), passive singular (cogitare) and passive plural (cogitamini), but I'm pretty sure they are all second person (you) as far as I can tell.

This all started trying to translate "let's think!" or "let's think together!" into Latin for a motto.

Thanks.

• Wouldn't that be 4th person? As in 1:I; 2:you(singular); 3:he/she; 4:we; 5:you(plural); 6:they. – Dave the Sax Feb 20 at 8:21
  • @DavetheSax What you call 4, 5, and 6 are usually known as 1, 2, and 3 in plural. Three persons, two numbers. – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 22 at 21:48

Unlike some other Indo-European languages, Latin has no first-person imperatives! And it only barely has third-person ones: it has third-person "second" (or "future") imperatives, but no third-person "first" (or "present") imperatives.

Instead, the first-person plural subjunctive can be used as a "hortatory" ("let's ___!"), which is probably what you want. For cogitāre, this form is cogitēmus, "let's think!".

To support this, there's this Latin song that's popular on graduations that begins with "Gaudeamus" which translates to "let us rejoice" in the exact same situation OP wants: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gaudeamus – htmlcoderexe Feb 20 at 12:34
    It might be worth mentioning that this hortatory construction has survived in the Romance languages and it's the standard way to translate the English "let's think" – Denis Nardin Feb 20 at 16:21
  • Thanks @Draconis and others. I think if I had thought about it more, I would have remembered phrases I had to memorize like "venite, adoremus" or "ergo bibamus". Brain cells are not what they used to be. – Gabe Feb 20 at 22:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.