The book of Genesis, 1:28 reads:

Crescite et multiplicamini et replete terram et subicite eam et dominamini piscibus maris et volatilibus caeli et universis animantibus, quae moventur super terram

Most translations I have seen so far read animantibus quae moventur more or less like animals that move, but I was wondering whether it can be read in a broader sense.

I don't know Hebrew (or Greek, for what it's worth), so it is likely that the key is in the original languages, but for what concerns Latin,

• Animans can also mean animate/living (beings).
  • moveor can also mean a lot of things like to be produced, to be put forth and... Maybe by extension, to reproduce, germinate?

Q: Is it possible that animantibus quae moventur in Gen 1:28 means 'all living beings?'

The relevant part of the Hebrew verse is: וּבְכָל־ חַיָּ֖ה הָֽרֹמֶ֥שֶׂת. The Septuagint, in turn, don't seem to help, since they apparently divide וּבְכָל־ into cattle and reptiles: τῶν κτηνῶν καὶ πάσης τῆς γῆς καὶ πάντων τῶν ἑρπετῶν τῶν ἑρπόντων.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.