The closest I can manage (uneducated) is "Prorsus Futui Est," but I suspect that's somewhat (if not completely) wrong.

Are you asking for a translation of the literal or the figurative?
    – Mast
    Feb 6, 2020 at 13:18

3 Answers 3

The Latin verb futuere is a good translation for the English verb "fuck" in the sense of sexual intercourse. The past participle fututus means "fucked" in this sense. As often in Latin, this can be intensified with a prefix. The adjective defututus can well be translated as "totally fucked", although many dictionaries give much softer translations like "exhausted by sensuality" in Lewis and Short.

If you do not want to specify what "it" is and you want to refer to sexual intercourse, then defututum est is a good translation for "it's [been] totally fucked". The English verb can be used in a number of different meanings, but I assumed the literal one. If you meant something else, please edit your question to clarify what the message you want to convey is.

The translation you suggested (which sounds like what Google Translate might give) is not grammatical. It does find a good verb, but the whole doesn't quite work.

I would think it is short for "It's totally fucked up.", which roughly means "It is in a exceedingly broken state". But I'm not very confident, because it is the most versatile verb of the English language, as far as I know. (I'm not a native English speaker) Feb 6, 2020 at 11:33
    @VolkerSiegel you are correct, another more gentle way of saying it would be 'this is totally messed up' or 'it's a complete/total disaster' . the word fuck in this case doesn't refer to sex at all, which is why I don't think this answer is accurate but to be fair I doubt there actually exists a latin translation that is 1:1 with the english.
    – eps
    Feb 6, 2020 at 21:49
  • I think if you're going to translate fucked in a literal sense, then you're better off using either masculine or feminine gender. Feb 7, 2020 at 17:49

As Joonas said, I would use a form of the participle fututus, literally "fucked". Here's one example, from Catullus VI:

Cur? Nōn tam later' ecfutūta pandās,
nī tu quid faciās ineptiārum

Why? Because you wouldn't display your fucked-out body like this unless you were doing something obscene.

(In this poem, Catullus is saying it's obvious that Flavius has a mistress because of the way he looks when he goes out in public.)

Or, from Catullus XLI:

Āmeāna, puella dēfutūta,
tōta mīlia mē decem poposcit!

Ameana, that thoroughly-fucked girl, asked for a full ten thousand!

(In this one, he's complaining about Ameana's prices being too high.)

In both of these, notably, the adjective refers to the literal act of sex—I don't know of any case where it's used metaphorically, like in English "fucked up". But I'd have no qualms using it that way, since the metaphor and the obscenity are clear enough.

I remember your quest for an expletive intensifier. Yourself suggests, I think, that the phraseology in your answer would not qualify as perjorative; expletive-type bad language. If Roman soldiers were addressing each other, good-naturedly, or otherwise how would they say: "Fuck you!"; "I'm fucked-off with this!"; "Fucking hell, not again"? Is it so that "futuere", in Latin, is about as offensive as "to make love", in English?
    – tony
    Feb 6, 2020 at 16:48
    @tony "Futuere" is certainly more vulgar and offensive than "to make love".
    – Bjonnfesk
    Feb 7, 2020 at 2:49

Since all current answers address the sexual meaning of "fucked", I will provide alternatives for the case of "fucked" => "broken".

Fractus

Broken, shattered

or its related

Confractus

Destroyed

Both of these can of course be used with an optional intensifying prefix to provide the "totally" ingredient.

The full phrase could be translated as:

Perfract(-us/-a/-um) est

Can you specify which prefix you think works on fractus? Feb 7, 2020 at 8:52
  • @Wilson per seems reasonable, and is at least used by John Paul II in Reconciliatio et Paenitentia.
    – Bjonnfesk
    Feb 7, 2020 at 16:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.