My days of decent knowledge of Latin are a little in the past since I passed my Latinum, and I am trying to get a good translation for what modern US courts call "vexatious litigant" into Latin for a little joke to a lawyer friend of mine - because illnesses have often Latin names and there's a lot of law-Latin around, just not the "vexatious litigant". I was planning to use this construction in combination with the imperative of abstain for the goal of "keep away the vexatious litigant".

The best translation for the word vexatious I could find is the root of it: vexatio, vexationis in its 4th meaning of "trouble, vexation".

Now Litigant also has a fitting Latin stem in litigere, litigo, in its 2nd meaning "to litigate/sue".

But here I get to the end of my Latin: How to properly combine the two to get the vexatious litigant?

• Does "vexatious" have a specific legal meaning? I can think of plenty of Latin words for "annoying" etc, but I'm not sure if there's a specific connotation you need. – Draconis Feb 4 '20 at 23:56
  • the term "vexatious litigant" is a term of art and as such has a specific meaning, yes. Wikipedia has the california variant of the law explained. In canada the term is different but I fail to remember how. – Trish Feb 5 '20 at 0:03
  • @Draconis I don't think the term existed in roman time (roman-law) but legal-latin fits. – Trish Feb 5 '20 at 18:06

A litigand is litigator. For "vexatious" you could use vexabilis or vexativus (both exist according to Lewis&Short). So you could say litigator vexabilis or litigator vexativus.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.