My days of decent knowledge of Latin are a little in the past since I passed my Latinum, and I am trying to get a good translation for what modern US courst call "vexatious litigant" into Latin for a little joke to a lawyer friend of mine - because illnesses have often latin names and there's a lot of law-latin around. I was planning to use it this construction in combination with the imperative abstine for "keep away the vexatious litigant".

The best translation for the word vexatious I could find is the root of it: vexatio, vexationis in it's 4th meaning of "trouble, vexation".

Now Litigant also has a fitting latin stem in litigere, litigo, in its 2nd meaning "to litigate/sue".

But here I get to the end of my latin: How to properly combine the two to get the vexatious litigant?

• Does "vexatious" have a specific legal meaning? I can think of plenty of Latin words for "annoying" etc, but I'm not sure if there's a specific connotation you need. – Draconis Feb 4 at 23:56
  • the term "vexatious litigant" is a term of art and as such has a specific meaning, yes. Wikipedia has the california variant of the law explained. In canada the term is different but I fail to remember how. – Trish Feb 5 at 0:03
  • @Draconis I don't think the term existed in roman time (roman-law) but legal-latin fits. – Trish Feb 5 at 18:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.