In Greek mythology, there was a terrifying monster known as the Calydonian Boar. It was called the "Calydonian Boar" because it was a monstrous pig that terrorized the town called "Calydon".

Now, in the Greek language, "don" means "tooth", so, as the title says, what does the "caly" in "Calydon" mean?

The Greek for tooth is not don, but odous (stem odont-); the name of the town is unrelated to this word, and is probably to be segmented Calyd-ōn, since -ōn is a common derivational ending. – TKR Jan 27 at 5:19
  • Although in Modern Greek they do say ˈðɔndi or ˈðɔdi. – fdb Jan 30 at 12:05

The origin of the town's name is ultimately unclear, and is missing from many dictionaries. The -don is probably a coincidence, though, and we can probably assume it's Pre-Greek or some borrowing from nearby tribes.

Similar words that might give a clue (καλύβη "kalubē", καλυδίλα "kaludila") are classified as Pre-Greek by Beekes (p. 628 for a smattering of words).

| improve this answer | |
  • I don't read actual Greek, so could you Romanize the "similar words" for me? – JohnWDailey Jan 26 at 16:41
  • @JohnWDailey Calybë and calydila – Draconis Jan 26 at 19:04
  • @Draconis I found something on "Calybe" but nothing on "calydila". – JohnWDailey Jan 26 at 19:57
  • @JohnWDailey Use Beekes, Etymological Dictionary of Greek. – C. M. Weimer Jan 27 at 13:09
    Correction: town said to be named after said Calydon. Beekes' likely Pre-Greek καλυδίλα=bridge might relate to the town's mountain location? – Cosmas Zachos Feb 1 at 21:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.