I am tutoring a friend who is preparing for a graduate school translation exam, of the "unseen passage, dictionary allowed, time limit imposed, be accurate" variety.

We came across nacti in paragraph 22 here. I found nanciscor pretty quickly, and she didn't.

When I tried to explain how I knew to check that spelling, I was at a loss.

Here's my real question: Is there any sort of good procedure I could give a student that would allow them to make a list of probable first principal part spellings, given later principal parts?

To be able to generate a list of candidates, one should know some common ways to produce different principal parts from a given stem.

To produce the present stem (the first principal part as you call it) one might add a nasal before the last consonant. To produce the perfect stem one might reduplicate the first syllable, with possibility for vowel gradation. To produce the perfect participle stem one might add a t, with possibility for assimilation in the preceding consonant. Using these rules to the stem tag-, one obtains the stems tang-, tetig- and tact-.

You can find more possible ways to play with the stems in many Latin grammars, and I will not attempt to list them here. Instead, let me try to detail the process I would take to find nancisci from nacti. First, the perfect participle stem seems to be nact-. There is no sign of reduplication (we couldn't remove a syllable anyway since there is only one — and reduplication should only appear in the active perfect stem anyway), so the present stem might be nac-. It is possible that the t has caused some assimilation, so it could be nag- or nah- instead. There could also be a nasal in the present stem, so also nanc- and nang- might be possible. If you manage to conclude that one option is nanc-, you will find the verb in a dictionary; you won't need to guess the incohative -isc-.

In short: To see the first principal form, know the rules to generate later principal forms and try to guess which ones may have been used. If I see a perfect participle of a new verb, I will not know the first principal part for certain, but I can make a number of guesses. And know your irregular verbs — they may also come with prefixes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.