Spinoza, Ethics, De Deo, Propositio 15, Scholium:

Exempli gratia aquam quatenus aqua est, dividi concipimus ejusque partes ab invicem separari; at non quatenus substantia est corporea; eatenus enim neque separatur neque dividitur.

Boyle translation:

E.g., we can conceive water, in so far as it is water, to be divided and its parts separated one from the other: but not in so far as it is a corporeal substance, for then it is neither separated nor divided

Elwes translation:

For instance, water, in so far as it is water, we conceive to be divided, and its parts to be separated one from the other; but not in so far as it is extended substance; from this point of view it is neither separated nor divisible

I have two questions.

1- Translations are so as if the text is:

at non quatenus est substantia corporea

Why?

2- If eatenus means so far, why are translation otherwise?

1 - I don't think Latin makes much of a distinction between substantia est corporea and est substantia corporea. In either case, I think you'll need to rely on context to determine which English translation to use.

2 - Eatenus is the correlative to quatenus. Both translations use "insofar as" to translate quatenus. It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with Boyle using "then" as a correlative for "insofar as", although better correlatives could be found (and I think the one you found is better). Elwes' choice of all but abandoning the correlative in favor of re-phrasing is an interesting one, which really drives home the point. It's not the choice I would have made, but I don't think it's inaccurate.

| improve this answer | |

1- I find another example of coming est among the predicate and its adjective in the Spinoza's text:

Spinoza in Propositio XVII, Scholium denies that God has by nature some perfections like intellect and will. He says that many person disagree with him, because:

Nihil enim perfectius cognoscere sese aiunt quod Deo tribuere possunt quam id quod in nobis summa est perfectio

Which means:

For they say they know nothing more perfect, which they can attribute to God, than that which is the highest perfection in us

2- Eatenus can mean to such a degree. Thus meaning of sentence may be so:

for water to such a degree (in that status which water is still an extended substance and not a tangible object) is neither separated nor divisible

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.