I seek more details and other opinions than Cerberus's answer that cited Lewis & Short on what notions underlie folding and replying.

As to why folding (back) came to mean uttering (back), I imagine the figurative sense "to roll something over in the mind" was expanded to rolling something over in a conversation, inspecting it by talking about it.

How can 'roll over in mind' broaden to mean 'roll something over in a conversation' then to 'reply'? I've never heard of the VP 'roll something over in a conversation' in English; it doesn't feel intuitive.

Etymonline proclaims that

replicare "to repeat, reply," literally "to fold back,"

originates

from re- "back, again" (see re-) + plicare "to fold" (from PIE root *plek- "to plait")

p 1785 on Oxford Latin Dictionary (2012 2 ed) doesn't expound the semantic shift. I marked the entry with a red line.

enter image description here

• Opinion: My intuition tells me that unroll*/*unwind variant of the original meaning is probably a better candidate for the semantic shift you're looking for. When you reply you unroll your thought to your interlocutor...
    – tum_
    Jan 3, 2020 at 10:09
  • Is this just a copy-paste of the previous question that got closed as duplicate?
    – Draconis
    Jan 3, 2020 at 19:13
  • @Draconis No. Previous question didn't have para 3.
    – user37
    Jan 4, 2020 at 2:33

3 Answers 3

+50

It seems to me you could ask the same question about return and retort. Apparently the idea that an argument or question is like a ray or missile directed at you, and you turn it around or bend or fold its trajectory when you make a reply, underlies these words. (Note how, for example, the English word retort simultaneously refers to a reply in an argument and a chemical flask with a bent neck.)

In the Oxford Latin Dictionary entry, you already see uses like this:

• radii soli replicantur (sunrays are reflected [= bent back] by the earth: Seneca, Naturalis Quaestiones, 2.10.3)
  • vestigium suum replicat (he turned back, returned: Apuleius, Metamorphoses 4.19)

It seems natural to me to extend this to a conversation between people, where utterings, or thoughts and ideas, are sent back and forth.

Please note that the meaning reply in general (not just in the courtroom) may be a Middle Latin development, and the OLD, which explicitly excludes Middle Latin, would in that case not be the right resource to consult.

A modern equivalent of the same semantic shift would be monitor speakers which are often called 'fold-back' speakers, because they 'fold back' the sound to the musicians on stage, this is almost like an echo, which could be viewed as a "reply" to the person making the noise.

Regarding the shift from "folding" to "returning" Sp. Llegar, wiktionary has some interesting comments: "The semantic shift over time from "to fold" is also found in some other Romance cognates, and may be linked to the idea of folding sails when arriving at a port, especially in Iberian Romance where naval tradition was strong. Compare Portuguese chegar; however cf. also Romanian pleca (“to leave”), with the opposite meaning, possibly because there the word was associated with folding up tents and leaving."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.