Spinoza, Ethics, De Deo, Propositio 15, Scholium:

Sane rerum quae realiter ab invicem distinctae sunt, una sine alia esse et in suo statu manere potest

Is rerum partitive genitive and is it correct to rearrange the sentence in this manner?

Sane una rerum quae realiter ab invicem distinctae sunt, sine alia esse et in suo statu manere potest

Otherwise, which type of genitive corresponds to rerum?

Yes, this does indeed appear to be a partitive genitive. Changing the word order as you suggest is legitimate if it helps you. I think it is most useful in its original place where una and sine alia are next to each other.

I like analyzing things sequentially, so let us start with the whole sentence. To clarify the role of the relative clause, I will add another comma:

Sane rerum, quae realiter ab invicem distinctae sunt, una sine alia esse et in suo statu manere potest.

To better grasp the core message, we can ignore the relative clause which gives additional detail:

Sane rerum una sine alia esse et in suo statu manere potest.

Let me also drop the other half of what can be done:

Sane rerum una sine alia esse potest.

Now the message is clear:

Clearly one of the things can exist without another.

If there are only two things, then "the other" is better than "another".

| improve this answer | |
  • I don't think this is what the "una" is doing here. He seems to be saying, "Of things that are really distinct from each other, one can exist without the other." In other words, I'm reading it like a more typical "alius...alius" construction. – brianpck Jan 2 at 18:56
  • @brianpck Hmm... To me that seems to be a detail of phrasing it in English, but I might be somewhat misled by it being a second language. It gets a little mangled after my simplifications and I did not read around the quoted passage at all, so my translation is certainly sub-optimal. But I hope I at least got the role of rerum clear enough. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jan 2 at 19:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.