Some ideas I have come up with are:- bellum est infandum war is an abomination inmite est bellum war is pitiless res cruenta et infanda est Mars War is a blood-soaked atrocity Mars furit infandus War blasphemously rages out of control. Marte nulla pestis saevior est no instrument of destruction is more savage than war.

For 'infandus' I suppose 'nefandus' could be substituted, the difference apparently being that nefandus implies the idea of a crime which nefandus does not necessarily always do, as 'arma nefanda' = "war so base that it is not to be spoken of without horror'. 'Caesar' In De Bello Hispaniensi writes of the barbarians 'nefandum crudelissimumque facinus aunt adgressi'.

Any particular cultural milieu you have in mind? I rather suspect this translates quite differently in a Christian vs a pagan context, for example. – C Monsour Nov 28 '19 at 0:30
    Only CL equivalent. Something concise and graphic, like atrocissimum est bellum. – Jonathan Hadfield Nov 28 '19 at 17:00
  • Probably the best Latin would be bellum est Gehenna, suggested to me by a friend, Emeritus Professor Diggle. The concept of hell, in our sense of the word, is alien to the Classical world. – Jonathan Hadfield Oct 9 '20 at 8:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.