To mean something that is not owned legally, not owned with the meaning of "being the owner", like when I say "We have a pope", could I use "habere" or only the dative or genitive of possession?

Is the meaning the same between those 2 structures? When to use the one and when to use the other one?

With something I really own, unlike the pope, but like a dog or a house, is this different?

Doesn't "habere" mean to own, with the meaning of "to be the master"?

1 Answer 1

This answer only considers the nuances of habere, not a comparison between it and the possessive dative. The possessive genitive is different; it functions mostly like the English genitive and is used to express things like "my dog" rather than "I have a dog".

The example of the pope actually makes a good example for habere. The canonical announcement upon the selection of a new pope begins:

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: habemus Papam.

We have a pope, but we do not own him or rule him in any reasonable sense. One could try to argue that this is post-classical, but no.

Please take a look at the entry for habere in Lewis & Short for a classical view. It has a wide variety of uses, including clear ownership (having money) and clear lack thereof (having a brother).

The verb habere is very broad, and only rarely does it have the nuance of "to be the master [of]". Assigning this meaning to it in general is not justified at all.

• It's already very interesting.
    – Quidam
    Nov 12, 2019 at 13:33
  • It was exactly why I asked this question, a Latin teacher told me it was post-classical, but I had some doubts.
    – Quidam
    Nov 12, 2019 at 13:34
    @Quidam It's always good to doubt your teacher, be it Latin or otherwise. (But don't be too vocal about your doubts in front of them!)
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Nov 12, 2019 at 13:47
  • I am my own teacher, I teach myself latin using the internet and books (I didn't have the chance to attend Latin classes at school), but I debate a lot about Latin words, in order to learn. Anyway, I'm a bit a St Thomas, if someone tells me it's the rule, I need to see this rule.
    – Quidam
    Nov 12, 2019 at 15:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.