I am writing a text where this phrase is on a big part. It will be the title, so it's important to me to got it right. Thank you. :)

There's a few ways to translate this. I am ignorant of the nuances, but here's my best understanding based off of minor Googling and Whitaker's Words.

Fructus Tenebrarum = The fruit/benefit/reward of darkness.

Fructus Obscuritatis = The fruit/benefit/reward of blindness/darkness/lack of understanding.

Fructus Crepesculi = The fruit/benefit/reward of twilight/darkness.

If you want to decline this properly in your work (I don't know your intentions) these are the ways you want to decline it.

Subject of sentence: Fructus Tenebrarum/Fructus Obscuritatis/Fructus Crepesculi

Object of sentence: Fructum Tenebrarum/Fructum Obscuritatis/Fructum Crepesculi

Indirect Object: Fructui Tenebrarum/Fructui Obscuritatis/Fructui Crepesculi

Within Prepositional Phrase: Fructu Tenebrarum/Fructu Obscuritatis/Fructu Crepesculi

• Thank you very much! The nuances are that "fruits" mean the rewards which will appear from the darkness, and "darkness" will literally be the night (but also dark powers). So I think "Fructus Tenebrarum" will be right. So does your translation mean plural even thought you wrote "fruit"?
    – misumoi
    Nov 9 '19 at 18:02

In addition to Nickimite's fine examples, there is also:

• fructus caliginis "fruits of darkness" (deep darkness, with a vague connotation of being in a dark nebula; gloom, blindness, calamity)
  • fructus obscuri "fruits of darkness" (the dark, with a vague connotation of darkness covering the world from one's vision; the hidden, unknown)

I think obscuri is more common than obscuritatis.

Tenebrarum is excellent. It also has the advantage of being grammatically plural (even though it is just "(the) darkness" semantically), so perhaps a suggestion of powers of darkness is most easily made. It is not seldom used with ominous connotations, like the underworld.

Crepesculi is probably uncommon.

Lewis & Short say this:

tenebrae is stronger than obscuritas, and weaker than caligo

As to the form fructus, that can be either plural or singular (one with a final u pronounced long, the other short). Nickimite has given the declension of the singular. Fructus has a connotation of fruit one enjoys, from fruor "to enjoy, profit from". There is also frux "fruit", plural fruges, which is from the same root, but I believe it rather has a connotation of "usefulness".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.