I am skeptical about Internet results.

Question: So what is "team" in Latin?

Please cite a a reliable reference page.

There are various ways in which working or acting together can be described: you will have to define team before this can be answered properly. Can you tell us what situation you have in mind, please?
    – Tom Cotton
    Commented Sep 23, 2019 at 15:10
    I second @TomCotton. I am not convinced that there is a general translation for "team" in Latin, just like in many other languages. Can you edit your question to describe where you would like to use the word? You could also list the internet results you found, and we can then tell you how useful they are.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Sep 23, 2019 at 16:37
  • I mean the collective,the many,the group.
    – user6095
    Commented Sep 24, 2019 at 9:27
  • bigas was the word I got
    – user6095
    Commented Sep 24, 2019 at 9:27
    FWIW, there is a scholarly translation of a modern novel that uses turma, -ae for a team in the context of collective sports. Is that good for you?
    – Rafael
    Commented Sep 24, 2019 at 12:07

1 Answer 1

Your question was not easy to answer! The Romans seem to speak very little about working together as a team! Of course, there are many "groups" of people in the literature but they tend to be groups as defined by an outside observer, whereas I think a team more properly is defined from within and by its common goal.

With that said, however, here are some options that may work for you.

MANUS: used typically of a group of soldiers, a sort of team after all, but not exclusively, as the third and fourth examples show:

qui eam manum habebant qua Uticam diripuerant

who were in charge of a team [of soldiers] with which they had plundered Utica

Caesar, The African War, 95

modica manu armatorum media ferme nocte Sardis concessit

he reached Sardis about midnight with a small group of armed men

Livy, History of Rome, 37.33.44

Erat bene magna manus intra Pompeianarum partium

Now inside the town there was a good large group of supporters of Pompeius

Caesar, The Spanish War, 35

tamen exposuit manum fuisse iuventutis duce Curione

nonetheless, he explained that a group of young men had been formed under Curio’s leadership

Cicero, Letters to Atticus, 44 (II.24), Rome, August (?) 59, Cicero to Atticus

GREX: often used to mean a herd of animals but when speaking of people, can mean company, society, troop, or band:

In hunc igitur gregem vos nunc P. Sullam, iudices, ex his qui cum hoc vivunt atque vixerunt honestissimorum hominum gregibus reicietis

Will you then, gentlemen, now cast Publius Sulla out into that group, excluding him from these groups of honourable men who have associated and still associate with him?

CICERO, Pro Sulla, 77

COHORS: this is an interesting one because it primarily means an enclosed courtyard, a yard or pen, but that sense of being enclosed transferred to mean people metaphorically corralled off by a common purpose, and thus can mean a company of soldiers, a division of an army, a cohort, or a retinue:

inter vos quotiens libertorumque cohortem

pugna Saguntina fervet commissa lagona

once battle with the Saguntine crockery starts up and rages between your guests and a group of freedmen

Juvenal, Satires, 5.28-29

• You could add protelum, used for a team of horse (in chariot racing) or oxen.
    – Tom Cotton
    Commented Sep 25, 2019 at 9:33
    @TomCotton I left out all the ways you can refer to a team of animals because in the comments above, the original poster did specify a team of humans. I think they have in mind a team of people working together on a project and not teams of animals that pull chariots and ploughs! Unless of course such terms were also used for groups of humans?
    – Penelope
    Commented Sep 25, 2019 at 10:49
  • Too many comments! Somehow I missed that. Splendid answer, anyway.
    – Tom Cotton
    Commented Sep 25, 2019 at 13:18
  • Why did grex become gregum and gregibus?
    – user6095
    Commented Sep 25, 2019 at 13:59
  • @user6095 They're different noun cases of grex: singular accusative and plural ablative.
    – Ben Kovitz
    Commented Sep 25, 2019 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.