Help! There are the well-known terms sub specie dei, sub specie aeternitatis (Spinoza?). I want to know: how would one correctly write super specie nihil, meaning not "below", from the (above) view of God/eternity, but above "nothingness"?

I am with small Greek and less Latin, so I may not be worthy of substantial reply. But, I want to know what would be the contrary/contrasting idea in Latin to sub specie dei, sub specie aeternitatis? Can someone help me?

What is your intended meaning? Sub specie dei means "under the gaze of God", i.e. from God's perspective; are you hoping for something like "under the gaze of nothingness"? – Draconis Sep 11 '19 at 22:53
    Can you give an example of something that you would say or see from the perspective that you have in mind? – Ben Kovitz Sep 12 '19 at 0:03
  • Hi, Thanks for the reply. What I am wanting to say is perhaps: over/above the gaze of nothing(ness). The idea of sub specie dei, views All from the "higher", divine perspective. What I would like to know is how one might write: not "under" the gaze/perspective of God (which traditionally includes creator/ion, the world), but the idea that the world is "above" (coming out of), nothing (nihil). So less a sentence that contrasting world-views summarized in terms: sub specie dei vs super nihil. How would this be written correctly? (ideally it would be a neat contrast or symmetrical terms.) :) – Stephen Lapeyrouse Sep 13 '19 at 18:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.