For example, this sentence:

My furnace works

would be one of

Furnus meus [some verb]
Furnus meus [some adjective] est (i.e. "my furnace is working")

What could I put in for either the verb or the adjective? Ideally, what word has versions that I could put in for both?

Living Latinists say, Furnus meus munere fungitur. I've seen no classical attestation of this use applied to objects rather than people, so it's probably a modern adaptation, but I just got back from a living Latin conference where several people said it.

I suppose you could also say Furnus non deficit.

In neither of these cases is there a suitable adjective, as far as I can tell. You could use munifex for the former, but that of course is really a noun describing a particular kind of Roman soldier.

• Shouldn't that be munifunx or something, if it comes from fungi instead of facere? – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 13 '16 at 8:15
    One would think so, but munifex seems to be the attested word: latinlexicon.org/definition.php?p1=2037239 — it was the lowest rank in the Roman army. The entry also mentions a verb muniafacio, but there's no entry for it. – Joel Derfner Jul 13 '16 at 11:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.